Made from mashed chickpeas, garlic, salt and other spices, hummus can be the next best thing you have for the first time. What started as a popular local dish in the Middle East, can now easily be spotted in the dinner plates of millions around the world. Pre packaged hummus is also increasingly becoming popular, and can be easily bought off the shelves of your nearest super market. Apart from being a tasty snacking option, there is a wide array of health benefits that are associated with hummus. Hummus health benefits include, better sleep, lowered cholesterol level and improved digestion.
Chickpeas is the primary ingredient in hummus which makes the dish rich in essential macro nutrients and fiber. “Healthy usually means tasteless and bland”, you might be wondering, well think again hummus is quickly becoming a popular dish all over because of its delicious taste and appetizing texture.
If hummus is not part of your diet, here is 7 healthy reasons why it should be :
1. High fiber content: With chickpeas as its main ingredient hummus is loaded with essential fibers. In case you do not already know fiber helps keep your digestive system in track and improves digestion. Fiber also keeps you full for a longer period of time, saving you from cravings which might lead to unhealthy snacking.
2. Loaded with complex carbohydrate: It takes longer for complex carbs to get digested compared to simple carbs. Due its longer digestion time, the body has more time utilizing it rather than just quickly storing it as fat. Hummus loaded with complex carbohydrates also does not induce a unhealthy spikes in the blood sugar level, keeping it steadier for a longer period of time.
3. Source of essential vitamins: We all know the benefits of Vitamins and how it prevents us from contracting several fatal diseases and helps maintain regular bodily functions. Hummus is a source of Vitamin B6, vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin and folate. Having hummus regularly can satisfy the daily need of these essential vitamins.
4. Great protein source: Chickpeas are naturally loaded with essential protein. Made from chickpeas, hummus is a great source of protein, which helps the body to build and repair damaged tissues. A typical serving of 100 gm of hummus contains approximately 8 gm of quality protein.
5. Great source of healthy fats: “How can fats be healthy”, Yes it can be. Some healthy fats help the body to regulate cholesterol level and keeps the heart healthy. Typically made using olive oil, hummus is an excellent source of these healthy fats. Hummus is also a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids, which is known to improve brain functions.
6. High mineral content: Other hummus health benefits include its high mineral content. Minerals are key to a healthy body and has wide array of benefits starting from aiding in bone formation to the production of red blood corpuscles in the blood. Hummus is a great source of calcium, phosphorous, zinc and magnesium.
7. Source of antioxidants: Including hummus in your diet can also help you fight the effects of aging. Antioxidants in chickpeas is known to have great anti-aging properties.